Bill Toomath (1925 - 2014) is widely regarded as one of New Zealand’s leading post-war architects, and headed the Wellington Polytechnic School of Design for ten years (1979-1989). For more than five decades he played a key role in the development of modernist architecture in New Zealand.
In 1946, Bill jointly founded the Architectural Group in Auckland, a collective renowned for their provocative pursuit of a specifically New Zealand form of architecture. The emphasis was on open plan, indoor-outdoor flow and honesty with materials. For almost 35 years, Bill managed his own architectural practice in Wellington, specialising in educational and community buildings, including the award-winning Wellington Teachers College complex in Karori. He had a strong vision for central city development and led the group that saved Wellington’s Old Town Hall, amongst other heritage buildings.